We often think how to Move Exchange Server 2016 to Different Active Directory Site. This kind of situation arises when you plan to extend the Messaging Infrastructure DR for Site resilience. Replicating small databases are possible by installing Exchange Server in DR site, however it may not be viable option replicate databases over narrow bandwidth if we plan to host bigger databases. From Exchange Server 2010, we can easily shift/move exchange server one active directory site to different AD Site by following simple steps outlined below.
1. Ensure that you have created and replicated required AD site and Subnets for DR/Secondary datacenter.
2. Ensure that the Exchange Server Infrastructure is healthy, and all the databases are replicated properly.
3. It is also recommended to check the AD and Exchange replication help using,
Test-ReplicationHealth from DR Exchange Server & nltest from DR Domain Controller
4. Verify the current AD site status of Exchange Server
5. Now we are good to initiate the server site migration. Before we shut down and physically move the server to different site, it is recommended to set the Exchange Server to Maintenance Mode.
.\StartDagServerMaintenance.ps1 -serverName EX16-DR1 -MoveComment SiteChange
And check the cluster status
Get-ClusterNode | ft name, dynamicweight, nodeweight, state -AutoSize
6. Shutdown and Shift the server to new site (DR/Secondary data center) and Bring up the server with new IP range configuration (subnet should be aligned to DR site).
7. Restart the Server once again to register required DNS entries and other connectivity.
8. Follow the below commands and ensure that the site movement of DAG member is success
Get-ClusterNode | ft name, dynamicweight, nodeweight, state –AutoSize
And if the status is Pause, then everything is fine. If the status is Down, that means some connectivity issues, please continue to troubleshoot.
Get-ExchangeServer | select Name,Site
Ensure that the site has changed, if you find the value that you expect then proceed to remove the server from maintenance mode.
.\StopDagServerMaintenance.ps1 -serverName EX16-DR1
The server status will change to Up from Paused post this step, and it will begin to replicate the delta and eventually the database copies will become healthy.
That’s it, you have completed the AD site change for Exchange DAG Member/Node.
Share you experience in the form of comments, we will deal whichever possible.